Even though Windows 10 is considered the best ever operating system from Microsoft, Yet there are still some problems that we can’t let go of. A lot of people are having issues with Windows 10 right from the start. One of the major problems, people are facing is related to hardware drivers which occur immediately after upgrading to Windows 10, Among all the problems to be seen in Windows 10, the Generic PnP Monitor problem is considered to be the most common one. Numerous individuals have grumbled that after updating their PC to Windows 10, their Monitor is not acknowledged by Windows anymore. Obviously, it is the driver’s fault. Yet the Generic PnP Monitor problem tends to be identified with the cable or hardware issue too.
You don’t need to be stressed out in case you are likewise confronting this problem. Our strategies and methods will surely help you to resolve this (Generic PnP Monitor) issue, All you have to do is to follow and play out the given instructions and steps until your problem is resolved.
How to Fix Generic PnP Monitor Problem On Your Windows PC :
First of all, you need to identify the issue, so let’s begin: When you plug in the equipment (Monitor), it should begin to work without even installing any sort of driver on your PC. At this point, if the device manager shows the device as a Generic PnP Monitor, it simply implies that the device was not perceived by Windows. Basically, A Generic PnP Monitor driver is automatically installed by Windows, and usually, it’s not the best option for the monitor as a proper driver could be useful with the device. This prompts Monitor problems. To resolve this issue you must follow the below-given instructions step by step.
Method #1 – Update Generic PnP Monitor Driver :
Updating the drivers is the most effective way and every now and then it has turned out well for various people. So, in short, the drivers seem to be the main problem behind this annoying issue which is why the Monitor drivers must be updated.
The following steps must be considered to apply this method, Select the Device Manager feature on the “start menu” by right-clicking on the icon present on your computer taskbar.
1. When it opens up, select and expand the Monitors option and there you will see the Generic PnP Monitor device, Right Click and select the update driver button.
2. After that, a window will pop up requesting an input, Choose the first option Search automatically for updated driver software, and by using the internet the driver will be installed automatically.
3. Restart your PC, once the driver is installed successfully, In-case Windows could not get or install the required driver, proceed to the next step.
4. Redo the 2nd step all over again and this time choose the second option (Browse my computer for driver software) as shown in the below-provided image.
5. After that, click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
6. Checkmark the option, show compatible hardware to see the compatible devices. Then choose and install the relevant device.
7. Restart your PC after you are done installing the driver.
After applying all the steps precisely, it must solve the Generic PnP Monitor problem, but if it’s still not resolved, you must follow the following methods.
Method #2 – Update Your Computer Display Driver :
Often the issue is associated with the graphics card driver, from where the monitor problems are originated. This method will help you to update the graphics card driver. Follow the given instructions carefully.
On Your windows taskbar right-click on the start menu icon and choose the device Manager option.
1. When it opens up, select the Display Adapters option. Now right click on the listed graphics card device (varies from computer to computer) and then choose the Update driver option.
2. Then a dialogue box will appear on your screen. Click on the first option, Search automatically for updated driver software. The desired driver will be downloaded and installed automatically.
3. When it is installed, restart your computer (RECOMMENDED).
Apply the same process for other graphics cards, in case your computer has an integrated graphics card. If the windows could not find and install the driver software, then visit the official website of your computer manufacturer or the graphics card’s manufacturer. From these websites, you can download and install the latest drivers. This will definitely fix the Generic PnP Monitor error.
Even if this method doesn’t work out for you, then move on to the next method we have for you.
Method #3 – Uninstall Generic PnP Monitor Driver Software :
In some cases, removal and reinstallation of the device drivers assist with the monitor issues. So, to fix the problem, we must uninstall the Generic PnP Monitor’s driver. Windows will acknowledge the device and will consequently install the drivers for it, so no need to stress out. Simply follow the guide below to apply this method properly.
Run the windows device manager, by right-clicking on the start menu icon present on the taskbar.
1. When it opens up, select the Monitor’s option. In its expanded menu you’ll see the Generic PnP Monitor option, press right-click on it, and select the Uninstall device option.
2. After that a confirmation window will appear on the screen, press right-click on the uninstall button.
3. Now choose Scan for hardware changes by clicking on the search option as shown in the image right below.
Upon completion of all the steps, the monitor will be acknowledged and installed by Windows as the real monitor and not the Generic PnP Monitor.
We hope that this method will fix the Generic PnP Monitor issue. In case if it doesn’t work either, consider the next method given below.
Method #4 – Run the System File Checker :
Windows operating system has a feature called System File Checker which fills in as a programmed investigator. It examines for the corrupt system files and documents and the risky or unofficial problem causing drivers, and afterward This utility repair or fix those drivers so everything should work as it supposes to.
1. First of all type “Command prompt” in Cortana (Search bar). Now press, right-click button on the command prompt app and then in the expanded menu, select Run as administrator. (IMPORTANT)
2. Now type (sfc /scannow) command in the command prompt window and press the enter button on your keyboard.
3. It will take almost 15 minutes for SFC to scan and resolve the problem.
After the completion of the process, the (Generic PnP Monitor problem) will be fixed.
If this method doesn’t turn out for you, do check the next method to solve the Generic PnP monitor problem.
Method #5 – Check Your PC for Official Microsoft Windows Updates:
The minor updates and security patches for Windows are frequently announced and released by Microsoft, which usually settle and resolve various glitches and vulnerabilities especially in Windows 10.
So, To get the latest updates for your copy of Windows 10, Right-click on the start menu icon > and open up settings > then choose search for updates to resolve your Generic PnP monitor problem you must download and install the pending updates.
Method #6 – Disconnect and Reconnect Your Monitor:
This method could surely assist you if you are utilizing a desktop, Follow and apply the instructions illustrated below to fix the problem.
- Firstly, Shut down the PC and Monitor as well.
- Now detach the power cable of the monitor from the socket for 10 minutes.
- Also, disconnect the video cable from the CPU for 5 minutes.
- After that plugin the video cable and the power cable to the CPU and Monitor respectively.
- Now start your computer.
This process will be efficient to fix the Generic PnP Monitor problem if it’s not related to software, We anticipated all the possible options and solutions to help you fix this (Generic PnP Monitor) issue.
Here is a quick video tutorial for Fixing the Generic PnP Monitor Problem On Windows 10
All the above-mentioned methods are best to fix the Generic PnP Monitor issue. if you have any further inquiries concerning this problem, please do let us know in the comments section below.